Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Human Petri Dish

Kathee and I had our appointment yesterday at Passport Health. This is a clinic in Moline that specializes in overseas travel and is licensed to get us the shots and whatnot we need for traveling to Moldova and Ethiopia. So both of us went in, with all the shots I need for Moldova also being needed for Ethiopia. It turns out that Ethiopia has a lot more medical concerns than Moldova, which I suppose isn't a big shocker.
So we got shots for Meningitis, Yellow Fever, Polio, are taking pills for Typhoid, and will be taking pills for Malaria. I was also prescribed pills for diarrhea to be used, and given one refill, in case I get it in Moldova, then I can re-up it for Ethiopia.
We already have Hep A and B from India (and anything else we needed for India). So pretty much, we've had it all. However, we were told about a doctor that is going to Uganda to do medical work and was told "he has been given pretty much everything known to man."
One funny interaction we had was when the lady told us, there's two places in the world I'd never go (due to the diseases), one is Uganda, the other is the Democratic Republic of Congo. She was a bit interested to find Kathee had lived there for 2 years!
Anyway, so we should be set and ready to go to Ethiopia now, and I have more than enough for Moldova this month!
It was a neat realization yesterday that our going to Ethiopia is a coming reality. It's not just an abstract thought anymore. As she was telling us about the elevation (and which mosquitos live at which elevation), the diseases, etc, it became much more exciting... WE ARE GOING TO ETHIOPIA!!! Now, if only we had a date in which we know we are traveling. However, I'll take what I can get, as I'm now getting my mind around the thought that Addis Ababa is in our sights! How fun to think about!!!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Random question....maybe you can write a little on if there was a specific reason for picking a boy rather than a girl? Maybe there's not a lot behind the decision, but I thought I would ask. Feel free to ignore me :)