Kathee absolutely loves tinfoil dinners. We ate them almost every summer on either the cook out or camp out at youth camp at Camp Forest Springs. By the time I became the senior counselor there, I grew to hate them. Kathee, on the other hand, not growing up attending CFS, and counseling only one summer there, LOVES them! LOVES them! To the point that one time we made them in our oven. If I wanted that much ketchup (to kill the taste) I'd fill up a glass and drink it. However, that being said, "we" were delighted to enjoy them with the kids... who ate supper and responded with mixed reviews!
But when it came to having S'Mores after supper, Esther bellied right up to help Kathee get everything situated!
Kathee is a master S'more maker, and with the smoke getting in Gideon's eyes, and Hope's relaxed state of leg-crossing impeding progress, Kathee and I ended up making most of the marshmellows for the kids (although the second night they jumped right in and gave it a shot. I think the first night was the learner's curve. We may have set the bar too high?).
Esther, not wanting to go through all the fuss of actually cooking the marshmellows, not wanting to dilute the scrumptous taste of them with chocolate and graham crackers, opted to bypass all that and just eat the marshmellows, uncooked, and all by themselves.
Here Gideon is showing off his "road rash" band-aid from crashing his bicycle. With all the tears and crying I opted not to tell him that the road rash he had on his shoulder was way cooler than his elbow. But why wake a sleeping dog, right?
Here's his "Big Kahuna Burger" Smore. Me? I never had me a Big Kahuna Burger before, just a Royale with cheese smore. (Okay, mashing smores with Pulp Fiction movie lines is too esoteric... and not funny).
Friday morning we ate breakfast burritos. I had these each year on our rock climbing trips I did as a youth pastor (with Camp Forest Springs as our guides) at Devil's Lake State Park in Wisconsin. Kathee loves these, too, and the kids? Yeah, they had sausage and scrambled eggs.
But Kathee and I did the full-on burrito. They were sooooo good!
And nothing says hardcore camping like making sure you bring your milk frother for your morning London Fog. It's half Earl Grey tea, half frothed milk, and some sugar. Just another proof God loves us!
Friday night we had Kathee's fantastic sishkabob's. Pieces of steak marinaded in Coke and some other good stuff. In the foil are the potatos, onions, and cheddar cheese we learned from our friends Clint and Leah Kuipers (from Bethel days).
Although our children turned up their noses at soupy bananas, we also had banana boats (cut a "V" in a banana, fill it with peanut butter, marshmellows, and chocolate chips, wrap it in foil, melt it all in the coals for about 8-10 minutes and you have liquid gold).
As you can see, we may have overlooked packing chocolate chips so in a pinch used Hershey's chocolate bars.
This morning I made sausage links and pancakes. There is nothing better than sausage on a cast iron griddle while camping. Seriously.
Kathee and I love coming up with our camping menu. We love to eat while camping, and we eat well. Whether it's cooking for 25 like I did at time while a youth pastor, or just my family, going camping and cooking while doing so brings me tons of joy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment