Sunday, September 14, 2008

"Choosing a kid must be like choosing a dog"

Well, I guess that's why our agency required us to take some online classes. This past Friday Kathee and I met with an attorney to write up a will (I'll be posting on that in a bit). Directly after that meeting, we drove down John Deere Expressway to another meeting to go over some things not pertaining to our adoption. However, as we were going over some review information with the man, he clarified that we don't have children. To that question I responded that Kathee and I are adopting. From this point on Junior's mind and mouth stop working together. I'll give you the basic rundown.
The first thing he asked after we told him we are adopting from Ethiopia is if we were trying to be like Angelina Jolie. Later on in the discussion, he warned us with a smile that we shouldn't visit any other countries as we'd most likely end up "wanting one of those babies, too, just like Angelina Jolie is doing."
So after the first question, where I was wondering if oxygen was reaching his brain, he asked how we go about making a decision on the child. He said that he and his wife and kids just went a few weeks ago to a pound/breeder (not sure which) to look for a dog. He said that they are all in need and so how do you choose. He told us his wife just couldn't look when the decision was made and that choosing a kid must be much the same. He honestly went on to say that, "man, choosing a kid must be like buying a house, after you see so many pictures THEY ALL START TO LOOK THE SAME." Seriously? Seriously, did that just come out of your mouth.
Oh, the glances Kathee and I made with one another. One of the classes we had to take was working through how to deal with comments others will make to us and our children and family through adoption. This was the first REALLY blatantly impressive one we got to experience. I know more are coming, but that was choice.
And oh yeah, as we stood to shake his hand at the end of the meeting, he told Kathee that she must be needing to get back home to do some cleaning and I must need to get back to work to send some people to hell. Nice touch, buddy!
And so the joy continues. I know that oftentimes people that don't know what to say so they say things they shouldn't. I know that oftentimes synapses don't click and so people run their mouth instead of their brain. I just thought I'd let you in on some of what we experience.
Let the journey continue!

Isaac

1 comment:

shirley said...

Not knowing any details of the business transacted, I'm tempted to say this would be one transaction I would have walked out on before sealing any deal. There is a point at which one says "OK, no more abuse!"
I'm so sorry that you had to endure this conversation. I'd hate to be even the dog in his family. The guy should be locked up!

Love you guys! Shirley/Mom