Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Isaac and Angelina

Well, I got another one of those comments you just don't know how to appropriately respond to yesterday. Someone asked me how long "you and Angelina...errr Kathee are going to be in Africa." For those of you living under rocks, Angelina Jolie is currently hitched next to Brad Pitt (although surprise, not married), is the voice of the UN for adoption, and seemingly adopts a child from every country she visits (which is why we've also been asked by other people, "so you are going to build a managerie like that Jolie lady, are you?" However, this was the same person who equated adopting with "going to the pound and choosing which dog to buy, it's like, there's so many and after a while they all just look the same... sorta like buying a house, right?"). She adopted Zahara from Ethiopia a few years ago.
Okay...I'm back, I just sat and "zoned out" for like a minute thinking about that statement. Why does it make me angry? Why do I find it offensive? Why do I even let it bother me?
I don't know, it just does!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You let it bother you, because this is your SON, and Kathee is your wife and you love them both very much. You have a heart. And pardon me, but whomever is saying those things to you is QUITE ignorant. I could say a lot of other things, but I'll refrain from flaming.

Love you all!
Shay

auntbonnie said...

My response would be a brittle smile and "Well, thank you for such a charming and lovely sentiment! It's so kind of you to compare my beloved son to an abandoned dog" and hope she is not immune to sarcasm. (We Mama Lions rear up to protect the young'uns, even when they don't belong to us! With apologies for being cranky . . .)

Anonymous said...

isaac and kathee, i think you two are going to be wonderful parents and i love you both.. your son is so cute and i think you will take good care of him.. love kimmiekim

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope this person is not or is no longer considered a friend of yours. What an insanely insensitive thing to say!! I was told by someone I thought close that I was being selfish for adopting and in it for my own good!!!

Mindy said...

You have a right to be angry...in fact, I might be concerned if you weren't.

However, don't think about it too much, it's not worth the time spent. Instead, think of holding your son in your arms!! I'm so excited for you!!