Tonight was a lot of fun. We had Han and Soyhee, along with their two daughters (roughly Gideon and Hope's ages, respectively) over for a Thanksgiving meal. It was kind of cool how the idea came about. I was sitting in Greek class and for whatever reason, Doctor Yarbrough kind of got off on a tangent about Thanksgiving. And his point was, if you are around town over Thanksgiving, you should invite an international student or family to join with you for Thanksgiving. He said that most seminary students, spending a minimum of 3-4 years on campus never celebrate an American holiday in an American home. I was a bit disappointed that we wouldn't be able to have a family to our place to celebrate (though I was excited to get out of town and celebrate with family). When I got home from class, Kathee said that she'd spoken with Soyhee and that they'd talked about Thanksgiving and that when we get back from Thanksgiving break that we'd celebrate together. So tonight was the night!
We had a blast. Kathee made a turkey (thanks, Karl), mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, deviled eggs, stuffing, and my Grandma T's fruit salad. For dessert, Kathee made pecan pie! We ate like kings and queens. The best part was that Soyhee and the girls had never had any of the food. Han had had some a few years ago at the pastor of their church's home (though it sounds like it wasn't entirely an American-style and was more Korean-style).
They seemed a bit intrigued watching me cut up the turkey, as in Korea, they said they have no difference between white and dark meat (so I'm not sure how they go about cutting it up...or if they do).
They seemed to enjoy the meal, though I do think the fellowship and discussion was way better. Han has been taking classes here for 5 years and is also getting his MDiv. I have nothing but respect for him as he studies (way harder than me due to language issues), having to translate everything he reads. I wish I could do something for him as he studies languages and all the rest of this thing we call seminary. But that's for another post.
What a fun evening!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment