So after a couple weeks off, the fall semester begins tomorrow. I'm excited to have a bit of variety back after spending all summer focused on the Hebrew language. So this semester I have the following classes:
Acts and Paul
Counseling in the Church I
Exegesis and Homiletics Lab II
Mentored Ministry Practicum I
Old Testament Exegesis and Communicating the Scriptures
Pentateuch
A couple of comments and then I should shuffle off to bed. First off, I'm only taking 11 credits this semester (thanks to having already taken one from a distance). That being said, a friend of mine told me the other day that the saying goes that it's going to be a tough semester if you have one exegesis course (basically that means you'll be doing a lot of translation work from either the Greek or the Hebrew). This semester, I have three exegesis courses (with OT Exegesis, which is Hebrew 3, Pentateuch, and Acts and Paul). And, bear in mind that two of those classes I will be doing a lot of translating from Hebrew to English, and one class will be from Greek to English. I'm up for the challenge, excited for the challenge, but know it'll be a ton of work!
My Acts and Paul professor was my Greek 1 professor, and I decided that I wanted to take any class I possibly could with him.
My OT Exegesis and Pentateuch class are taught by the same professor, who is becoming one of the leading scholars on the book of Leviticus. His layman's commentary on the book of Leviticus just came out last year or the year before and he has a scholar's one coming out soon. I had him for Covenant Theology I. My boy's wicked smaht. So I'm excited, and a bit intimidated about having him.
My Exegesis and Homiletics lab prof I'm also a bit intimidated by as I had him for Christian Ethics a few years ago (from a distance) and know he's also wicked smart. And he just came back to Covenant after being the preaching pastor here in St Louis at a large church for 10+ years (while teaching here as an adjunct). He went to Yale, blah, blah, blah, I'm intimidated and am excited to sit under him and learn how to be a better preacher. In the scheme of things, who else would I rather have as I continue to grow and learn how to preach to adults!
The rest of the classes are fine.
I'm not chomping at the bit-excited for any particular class yet (I think I'm still a bit tired from Hebrew this summer), but assume that will come back to me beginning tomorrow as I head back to class.
God is good. All the time. All the time. God is good.
Night all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"....one of the leading scholars on the book of Leviticus...." gives evidence of how many niches there are in the world about which many of us know nothing. As one of those know-nothings, I can't help but wonder exactly how large is this group of Leviticus scholars....
Post a Comment