So I'm pretty proud of my brother Nathan. For the second year in a row, he and his business partners, who are also his friends, have organized the Dubuque Gran Fondo. It's a road bicycling race, that in Italian means "great endurance." Basically, it's a road race that is brutal. This year's gran fondo race was almost 80 miles, with the medio fondo being almost 40! As part of the course, there is almost 12 miles of gravel (which on a road bike is AWFUL) and many feet of climbs (which, in my opinion is also AWFUL). However, gran fondos are a pretty big deal in the world of road cycling, with more and more springing up each year. Last year, Greg LeMond came and rode a bit of the race and stayed around to sign autographs and other things!
Although I'm not sure I could do the actual gran fondo (the most I've ever riden is 40+ miles), I thought I could have done the medio-fondo this year. However, as we weren't able to make it to Dubuque to participate, and since I didn't have class, I took one of my days of riding last week and did my own grueling version of the DGF. 40.1 miles was fun, and hard, and tiring.
Maybe next year I'll be able to actually ride in the fondo. That would be AWESOME! It would be the first time I'd ever particiapted in an actual organized race. And how cool that my brother is one of the organizers for it?! That would make my day!
As a side, this past week was my best week riding. I logged 164.3 miles. I'm within 100 miles of my annual goal of 1,000 miles. I know I can get to 1,000 now!
No comments:
Post a Comment