After years of taking classes from a distance, and the struggles of not being able to interact with the professor and other students, today was the day to get that kicked off. I slept like a baby last night, which was very unexpected, as I thought I'd be mulling over everything in my mind. Instead, it was the opposite.
And if I'm completely honest, I felt a bit of the attitude of an arrogant adolescent. "I've been in full-time Christian ministry for almost 15 years." Blah, blah, blah. But it sure didn't take very long for that attitude to get a solid come-uppins. I went from feeling like the arrogant adolescent too..
a guy who thinks he's all that but in reality know it' just a show. Exhibit #1. I put the classroom number in my calendar prior to Covenant separating the Greek 1 class into 2 sections. So, apparently, my class section was moved over one class, and the second section was in the classroom that I had on my calendar. So, after walking in a few minutes early, and getting a seat by the back door (just in case I was in the wrong class), when Doctor Sklaar walked in, I knew I was in the wrong classroom. So I popped up and walked to the next classroom over, into Doctor Yarbarough's class, which is the correct class.
Thankfully, I took a semester of Greek in college (and for my entire ministry years I've been looking up Greek words and am able to pronounce many of them) so was able to remember some/most of the Greek alphabet. However, after class (which goes Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 11-12:15), I went home for lunch and then back to the library to study. I am doing pretty well with the alphabet, but royally confused about some of the rules of accent and pronounciation. I know I'll get it, it was just pretty deflating today to have that class right out of the shoot. With it being an academic class (rather than a practicial theology class, couseling, etc), I know it's going to be very difficult for me. And I know I'll have to work hard at it. It was just a sobering and humbling experience to have that right away.
Doctor Yarbarough is also a pretty no-nonesense guy. He's taught Greek for 30 years. He started with prayer and we filled out 3x5 cards with our personal information on it. We read aloud the alphabet a bunch of times throughout the class, as well as, learning a couple of other things that are in our Greek Primer book.
It struck me today that it's possible he doesn't care if he has a full classroom or no students. He didn't seem to really interact, or really even realize that there were 40 of us in the classroom with him. I'm obviously not throwing the baby out with the bath water, I'm just reflecting on today's class.
So that left me a bit discouraged.
Then tonight, Kathee and I have Spiritual and Ministry Formation with Doctor and Mrs Douglas. He is the oldest employee (professor, staff, etc) at Covenant, being here 29 years. His deep and abiding love of Christ is pretty contagious. It's obvious he's a pastor at heart, and deeply desires us to grow in our faith and feel more comfortable in knowing God's calling on our lives.
Kathee is auditing the class, as so many on campus said it' one of the best classes offered here. There are A TON of people in the class. It's offered at night so spouses can attend as well. Free childcare at the Log Cabin is offered, so the three little ones get dropped off and then we head to class.
Doctor Douglas is meeting with each student for 1 hour during the semester to go over our various tests (Myers-Briggs, etc) and help us discern better our paths to/in ministry. They have also invited each student to their home for lunch during the course of the semester (like 10-12 students at a time). They live on campus somewhere, and the old kodger even had powerpoint pictures showing us step-by-step how to get to their home.
The class is very diverse. From people just out of college to a couple who are great-grandparents.
From single to married for decades. From right here in St Louis to a couple from Korea and China and Mozambique.
It's also when Kathee and the girls head back to Moline, leaving Gideon and me here due to school for the both of us. Kathee's good friend Tara is heading to Princeton, IL, tomorrow for the sentencing of the young lady who killed Tara's mother due to drunk driving. Kathee has gone with her to the entire court proceedings and all the hearings and whatnot. So tomorrow is the big day and Kathee wanted to be there with Tara for that. So Kathee leaves here at 5:00 or 5:30 with Hope and Esther to get up to Karl's in Moline in time to drop the girls off, see Karl a bit, and then head to Princeton with Tara.
Then Kathee and the girls will stay overnight with Karl in Moline before heading back home on Wednesday after lunch.
So Gideon and I will be, according to Gideon's words to Kathee tonight, "partying like crazy while the girls are gone." We'll see what that looks like, but we'll have to have fun somehow.
That's it for now. Even when the learning curve is really steep. Even when I get my butt handed to me right out of the shoot. Even when we still feel sad and lonely. We serve a great God who has indeed been good to us. He continues to lavish His love and grace upon us. And He continues leading us as we walk with Him in this journey. In Christ, there is always hope of a new and brighter day tomorrow. Thanks for reading. Good night!






1 comment:
Oh my goodness. Your schedule is scary enough to bring back all my nightmares about not having studied for the test, forgetting my locker combination, and getting lost between classes. You are a brave man.
Post a Comment