Thursday, August 14, 2014

Gideon's First View and (the next day) First Day at Mason Ridge Elementary

So Gideon is a first grader at Mason Ridge Elementary School.  HE LOVES IT!!!  His teacher is an Italian from Nebraska.  It was like it was divinely ordained.  Her name is Mrs Sciortino, and she's from Columbus, Nebraska.  We met her on Monday, when Gideon unpacked his bookbag and whatnot.  I was very surprised how big the school is, and thus, how many kids must go there.  I was also a bit afraid for me cute, cuddly, not-ready-for-a-school-this-big, boy.  However, unlike his father, Gideon acted confident and positive, and was excited for school and to get to know his 20-25 classmates (there are three classes of first graders at Mason Ridge).    

I will say I about puked when I walked down the hall and saw this posted.  YUCK.  I mockingly say that garbage to Kathee (as the Bible shares with us what happens when we listen to, and then follow, our hearts).  So Kathee made sure I saw it (as if I could miss it) and then went ahead and read it out loud to insure maximum blood pressure for me.  
So Tuesday morning, we got up and got ready to walk Junior to his bus.  11 of the 79 kids living on campus also meet at his bus stop for Mason Ridge Elementary (the others are either in Junior High or High School or they are home schooled or go to private, Christian school).  So, trying to blind him, or at the minimum burn his retinas, I had him pose for a picture before we walked up to the seminary library circle for him to get picked up.  
The bus was about 20 minutes late, and was a bit of a fiasco the first day.  
His bus stop is technically out on Conway and Williamsburg, which is across the street from campus.  However, some of the other parent ensured us that the bus driver also comes onto campus to pick up the kids at the library (which is at a completely different location-- like we can't even see his legitimate bus stop from the library circle).  
So after seeing a bus blow by (and not come ont campus), we decided we'd just load up the kid and drive them to school.  As we were walking back from the library to our apartments, one of the mothers called the school, who then tracked down the bus.  But apparently the bus broke down, so we were told it'd be better to just drive them to school (after hearing they'd tracked down the bus we all returned to the library).  But then hearing that we should just take the kids, we started re-walking back to seminary housing to take the kids to school.  It was then that the bus showed up, loaded up the kids, and off they went.  
Gideon, being so excited to ride the bus, didn't say goodbye or anything.  I'll be honest, it wan't how I'd written up his first day in my mind.  However, he did fine, got to school safely (but a bit late), and his second day at school was a bit more like I had envisioned the first day being.  





1 comment:

auntbonnie said...

A very scary thing to send a dear one into a realm of ideas, opinions and world views that are not your own. This is when Jay began to hear, quite often, "Everyone gets to have their own opinion."
Hold on dear parents. The ride has barely begun.