Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Soulard Farmer's Market

I love farmer's markets.  Not that we go and buy stuff from there, just walking around is enough for me.  I just love them.  I loved going to the markets in Guatemala, and India, and especially in Ethiopia.  I loved it when my brother Zach took Kathee and I to a market in Boston, and in the last couple of years in Moline, we started going to the farmer's market in Davenport.  

So, knowing that the farmer's markets are free, and needing something to do to get the family out of the house, we set out on our adventure.  I had read on the city of Creve Couer (the suburb we live in) that they have a farmer's market, so I thought I'd surprise the kids by loading up and going there.  When the family arrived, we didn't even get out of the car.  There were about 6 or 8 tables in the parking lot of the junior high.  It almost looked more booster club than farmer's market.  

So I jumped on Google Maps to find another one close.  So we drove another few minutes only to find that that one wasn't open (weird not to be open on Saturday morning).  So we sat in the van and I googled farmers markets in St Louis.  JACKPOT!  

The Soulard Farmer's Market has been going on since 1779, in the oldest part of St Louis, Soulard (which is French for drunkard).  Upon driving down (somewhat near the Arch), it had the feel of the area around the Central Market in Guatemala City, sins all the pollution, beggars, and whatnot.  

Parking was a premium, but we found a place a few short blocks away.  Walking up to the market, there was a band playing music and tons of people coming and going.  It was on!  
Here the family is in front of the Soulard Market, which I think is now my favorite place in St Louis.  
The market is open year-round and is HUGE!  There are four of these types of walkways, with wares on either side on each walkway.  The cool thing is that behind each stall the people pull up their trucks, vans, etc, and are able to walk right in to them from their stall.  It's very cool!  
As you can see, the milk in St Louis is better, as Esther has outgrown her brother, Gideon.  
The HUGE selling point for the kids now is that there is free face-painting at one of the stalls.  
So Gideon got a Spider web to go along with his t-shirt...
And Hope got a butterfly, because, why not?!
Kathee is a sucker for mini-donuts, so we purchased a few bags of those as well.

I love the Soulard Market and can see going back time and time again.  







1 comment:

auntbonnie said...

Butterfly.......princess batman.....shows you what I know about superheroes. Or girl children.